Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:46:51 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Syncro tranny problem
Comments: To: Gilles Turmel <gilles.turmel@SYMPATICO.CA>

This is a very common error. You likely attached the linkage wrong at the tranny. The plate that bolts to the ears on the tranny can be bolted to the wrong side of the ears quite easily. When you do it wrong there is not enough travel available to bet all of the gears to engage. With the shifter in neutral, look at the rub/wear area on the shift rod at the tranny bushing. You should see an equal amount of wear/rubbing marks on both side of the bushing. If not, take the 2 bolts out and move the plate to the other side of the ears.

Mark

Gilles Turmel wrote: > > Hi, > * I'm finishing the install of a 99 Impreza 2.2L in an 89m Syncro > Westy. The shift linkage was disconnected at the splined shaft and the > fork. I've followed the Bentley procedure to adjust that linkage. It > won't shift in L, 2nd and 4th gear. Any ideas why? The tranny is OK. > I've managed to get all gears engaged with the shift selector ball > joint. Any suggestions on how to adjust that linkage in a more > civilized manner that the Bently suggests. I don't understand the 23 mm > measure. > * Best regards.