Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:38:41 -0400
From:         jesse johnson <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET>
Subject:      Update on the New Engine Timing Issue....And finally idle problem
              solved.

Hey Everyone, First I want to thank everyone for taking time to email me and give me

advice on my timing issue on my new engine. I am not sure who on the list suggested it .. but i pulled the valve covers to make sure i had the engine set at top dead center for the number one cylinder. I did based upon the distributor drive gear. But when i had the valve covers off.. i noticed that as i spun the engine..

after TDC the exhaust valve should open on the next go around for cylinder number 1. But of course.. the intake valve opened! So the engine was trying to fire number one when number 3 should have been firing. So the deal is.. the engine builder stuck the dizzy drive gear in backwards! So i had done a bit of repair work on the wiring for the hall sender.. and it was a bit longer than stock.. so i could flip the

distributor backwards as a fix for now.. until i get a puller for the drive gear. The first crank it fired right up! Needless to say i was happy. I never thought it would have been the builder screwing things up. Lets hope he did a better job on the rest of the engine! And finally.. if any of you remember back in the winter/spring.. i was

having a stalling engine and a rich running problem. At the time.. all

fuel injection parts checked out fine and i was at a loss.. well when i

open the old engine after i pulled it, the exhaust valve on the number

two cylinder was just about cut in half from not seating properly on the head! So i am sure i was only getting maybe 30 pounds of compression on that cylinder.. and it was not burning the fuel correctly throwing everything off. Funny thing is.. this is the head the PO before me replaced! IT only had like 8,000 miles on it maybe. The other head was original and had 167,000 miles on it.. valves were fine.. go figure. Drove the van to a wedding today... It pulled like a mule and was super

smooth! Plus i have a new tranny and it shifts like butter! I had the injectors sent off to www.injector.com. They cleaned and balanced them... I cannot say enough about having clean injectors that are balanced. What a difference on start up and idle... very nice people to

deal with. Thanks Again Everyone, jesse 89 carat with new engine and trans... glad i did not jump it off the cliff like i wanted too ; ¬ )