Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:59:31 -0400
From:         "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon single electrode plugs

list:

not so fast. first, in reality, plug is unlikely to spark to more than one ground electrode at a time. but if did spark to all 4 ground electrodes simultaneously, the resulting resistance of the plug might actually be higher! whereas the resistance might drop from essentially infinity to say a thousand ohms as a single spark intensifies, dividing the spark energy between 4 simultaneous sparks would lead to reduced ionization, and perhaps a much greater resistance(s) per gap because of the lower peak spark currents. the coil is not a power supply, and the problem is a complicated transient phenomena. initially spark current is limited by gap resistance. at its peak spark current is usually limited by secondary circuit resistances.

in any case, there is flat out no mechanism to damage a coil by using multi electrode vs single electrode spark plugs. and, there is no obvious desgn change even for the purpose of optimizing a coil for one or the other plug type.

dan