Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:08:43 +0100
From:         Anthony Polson <acpolson@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How do I adjust (bleed?) the clutch?

Hi David,

Your problem is that when your wife lifts the clutch pedal, air is being drawn in.

I use one of two methods to bleed brakes/clutch. They have both worked well on 20+ vehicles i have owned since 1974.

Method 1. 1 person needed.

Buy an automatic bleed tube with a non-return valve in it. Loosen the bleed screw and put the tube over the nipple. Pump brake/clutch pedal very slowly (slow down AND slow up) until clean fluid appears, keeping flud reservoir topped up throughout. Tighten bleed nipple. Remove automatic bleed tube. Job done.

Method 2. 2 persons needed.

Loosen the bleed screw. Get second person to slowly press down the brake/clutch pedal, keeping flud reservoir topped up throughout. Tighten the bleed screw. Allow the brake/clutch pedal to return to the up position. Repeat all this over and over again until clean fluid appears. Tighten bleed nipple. Job done.

In the first method, the non-return valve in the automatic brake bleed tube prevents air getting in. In the second method, the fact that the bleed nipple is always closed when the brake/clutch pedal is rising makes sure that no air can get in

Hope this helps.

Tony

--- Original Message --- >Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:18:31 -0700 >From: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG> >Subject: How do I adjust (bleed?) the clutch? > >I just finished installing a 1.9TD in my Syncro Single Cab. In the process >of having the original engine out, the clutch cylinder in the rear ruptured >and leaked brake fluid all over the place. Today I installed a new clutch >cylinder. I got the wife to push the clutch pedal to bleed out the >majority >of the air. Then I used a 2x2" piece of wood to keep the clutch from going >down and the wife pressed on the clutch pedal ( that wouldn't go down at >this point ) and I slowly let more fluid come out until it was clean and >bubble free. Figured that this way it would be like bleeding brakes. Now >I can engage the clutch but it feels very soft and you have to go to the >floor to get it in and out of any gear. Is there something that I am >forgetting to do? > >Thanks in advance. > >David Marshall