Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:24:05 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: R12 to R134a Air Conditioning Conversion
Comments: To: rcampbell-vanagon6706@mailblocks.com

What did it cost you? How many hours of labour? DId they break down the cost of the conversion vs the leak test? This may be a silly question but I don't know a lot about Carats, so here goes...is it a westy?

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:12:44 -0700 >From: <rcampbell-vanagon6706@mailblocks.com> >Subject: Re: R12 to R134a Air Conditioning Conversion >To: pokey@VANAGON.ORG, vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Chris, > > My '91 Carat has been converted to R134a. However, > this was in conjunction with a leak diagnosis. What > happened to me was this: my R12 system leaked out > in a matter of weeks. Living in FL, driving with > A/C is definitely preferred. So, off to the > mechanic I went... System charged and holding, very > odd. But, start the engine, engage compressor and > viola! leak found! The compressor was at fault. > > So, new compressor and all is well. All that was > changed, in addition to the compressor, was the > receiver/dryer (Bus Depot). Other than that, the > system was flushed, and a good vacuum was pulled on > the entire system. My van spent the week in the > shop to make sure that the fault was found. Thus > far, running R134a it is GREAT! I was considering > the front A/C, but this thing is so cold (to date) > that I don't need it. And, remember I'm in FL, it > was already 81F this morning around 7:30 -- so I use > the A/C daily now! In direct sunlight (I don't have > tinted windows yet either!) my system still manages > to keep things cool. > > Now, as for o-rings and such, I don't know for sure > if my mechanic changed them. But, since the entire > system was disconnected and checked (during > diagnosis of the leak), I'm thinking that any such > consummable items would be replaced..... still, not > really sure. > > Good luck! > > -Robert > '91 Carat, 149K miles, original engine > > -----Original Message----- > From: 80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:56:51 -0400 > Subject: R12 to R134a Air Conditioning Conversion > > Anyone done one of these? What does it entail? > > Thanks, > Chris