Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:24:41 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: R12 to R134a Air Conditioning Conversion

Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM> wrote:

> I'm thinking of adding a second condenser under the van.

A better idea would be to replace the current condenser with a parallel flow type. In order for a condenser to work properly, it needs to have airflow, I'm not sure it will get it mounted under the van especially when stopped; it will tend to soak up a lot of heat from the road surface. I haven't found a direct replacement for the stock condenser yet but a good A/C shop should be able to adapt one to your van. Make sure you get one that has the same or larger amount of surface area. Also keep your current condenser clean and the crappy cardboard deflectors in place around it so all the outside air goes through and not around the condenser/radiator.

Though its not necessary, I would suggest replacing all the refrigerant lines, especially if you live someplace where you use your A/C every day or if any of your existing lines have been spliced. R-134a operates at much higher pressures to achieve the same amount of cooling as R-12, the flexible rubber hoses are the weak link.

Cleaning out the evaporator coils is also a good idea. It would involve lowering the cabinet or housing, but chances are its never been cleaned and is full of dirt. I installed a filter on the input side of my evaporator after I cleaned it.

The biggest problem I have found with the A/C in Campers doesn't have anything to do with the A/C at all, its the amount of outside air coming in the van through the heater/defroster/fresh air vents on the dash. The incoming outside air makes an 'air bubble' in the front area of the van and keeps the cold air from reaching the front cabin.

In order to stop the infiltration of outside air, close the heater/defroster/fresh air vent controls and turn the heater/defroster fan on high. Check each vent for air leakage; if you find it, you can either tear the dash out and reseal the airbox flaps or plug the vents themselves with some foam rubber blocks.

Make sure that both of the blower fans are working on '86 and up vans. They tend to blow fuses and burn wiring harnesses; its hard to tell if both fans are working so you need to phyisically check them. I increased the size of the wiring to the main fuse because I was melting terminals and fuse blocks.

The A/C in my camper will keep me comfortable in +98F temperatures once the interior of the van cools. If I leave it parked out in the sun, that can take 15-20 minutes. Fortunately, I get to park in a parking garage while at work, so it doesn't have to work too hard on the way home from work.

BTW, the Florida Association of Vanagon Owners (F.A.V.O.R) is camping out the weekend of June 26th and 27th at Jonathan Dickenson State Park in Hobe Sound, FL. All are welcome, reservations are recommended if you want to camp though; we will be in sites 50-60.

I am bringing Goldibox, but will be towing her behind the Wanderlodge, my wife will be driving her back on Sunday evening.

Good luck,

TJ Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition 1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33 Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers http://photos.yahoo.com/tjhannink [Vanagon] Album FAVOR website: http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com