Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:53:15 -0700
From:         Tim Schneider <Tim.Schneider@SYNOPSYS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Temps in the 100s today, need ideas on extra cooling

At 08:38 AM 6/16/2004, <bikeflorida@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

>This is exactly what mine does down here in Florida, doesn't seem to be a >problem, the fan blows on high most of the time, and the temp gauge stays at >around the 40%, I just drove 1500 miles through the mountains of North >Carolina, and the temp gauge would climb to about 60% while climbing steep >grades, with 4 guys in the van, and 4 mountain bikes on the roof and a van >full of camping gear.

Some notes from the Az desert.. if mine's working this well and you are in anything less than 105 or pulling a huge grade fully loaded, then somethings working at less than peak efficiency

Pretty much echo's the above. Gauge never goes much above 50% even with AC on idling at stoplights in Phx. metro traffic.

Have seen it just past the idiot light that is centered in the temp gauge, but thats the highest I've seen as of yet.

Had the entire cooling system ripped out and redone when we did the GoWesty engine rebuild/swap out. Figured it was insurance more than anything.

Course we haven't hit 110+ yet, when that happens I'm sure the fan will be on high quite a bit, and the A/C bypass circuit will kick in. (effectively no A/C at that point)

The other times it does this is when climbing the huge hill heading southbound on I-17 towards Phx. (from Flagstaff) we just turn the A/C off on that stretch and climbing the grade from the Sedona exit back towards Munds Park (approaching Flagstaff)

-tim

90 syncro westy mesa/gilbert, az