Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:02:43 -0700
From:         Ryan Press <ryan@PRESSLAB.US>
Subject:      Re: Break-in.......new engine (your opinion?)

The corruptor said: > I think this could be a nice thread.... for a change!!!! (ha ha ha) I have my own idea on that... of course there is a big difference with todays car/van ans our old van / bus....., lets talk about old thec..... > > -How do YOU do or would do your new engine break-in???? > -How do you drive your vehicle in a break in. > -First oil change????? 75 miles, 150miles, 500 miles > -Second oil change > -Oil grade??? > -Why do you think we do a break-in > -What is a break-in??? (ha ha ha) > > Well, on that subject, i don't recall seeing specific info in the box, but they do suggest using 20W50 and not 10W40. > > Larry's way: Change oil at 75/125 miles, second at 300/500 miles go to normal oil change after. > > My way: 300 to 500 miles fist oil change, driving the van on second road so > the rev keep going up and down and under 3000rpm. Second oil change at 1500miles, going to normal oil change after (3000miles) > > What is your opinion????? > Cheers, Ben > http://www.benplace.com/roadhaus.htm

A couple things need to be broken in, mostly just the piston rings and the cam. For the first 15 mins fast idle the engine at about 2000 RPM to work-harden the cam. At normal idle there isn't enough oil flowing to the cam and it can become worn out quickly. This is important!! Check for leaks too, yada yada..

Drive the van and gas the engine with 3/4 throttle at about 3000 RPM for about 2 seconds, then let off the gas while still in gear, do this in 3rd or 4th gear. What this does is seat (match mate) the piston rings by combustion pressure, and then by letting off the gas in gear it helps suck some oil past the rings to keep things lubed up.

I do that for maybe 100 miles, on and off when it's okay to do so. Then I change the oil and filter and keep the revs under 3/4 redline (4000 RPM or so) for the next 400 miles or so, and then I drive it like I stole it!!

Also change the oil at 500 miles, and then normal from then on.

Use non-synthetic oil until 5000 miles, 20w50 sounds good; change as needed. Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic after 5000 miles if desired, change every 5000 thereafter.

Ryan