Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:13:01 -0400
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      losing power, switching to digest (unrelated subjects)

Hi all,

I'm finding Matilda (my 1989 Westy) is losing power and not running as smoothly as I'm used to. On the highway she can maintain maybe 55 in 4th gear at 3000 rpm on flat ground, instead of 70 before. Less going uphill, more going downhill. I can't really get her above around 3000 rpm. If I give her more gas she goes slower and runs more roughly. If I let up on the gas she seems to have more power and runs smoother. I find I'm pumping (gently) on the gas to keep getting her power up. In third she's pretty feeble too. Sometimes it feels like she's gently hesitating and then jumping ahead, though it's a bit subtle.

She's not overheating at all. No signs of leaks. I haven't checked oil and coolant since just now driving a hundred or so miles and observing the problems (which I'd noticed a bit of a week ago, too), as she's still hot.

Is this a sign that my engine is dying? That one cylinder might be misfiring (the hesitating and jumping)?

What does this sound like to you experienced folks?

I'm leaving the country tomorrow (for Egypt) and coming back August 8, so Matilda is going to be sitting in my friend's driveway till then. I wish I had realized this was happening a lot earlier, so I might have been able to leave her with someone who could fix her while I'm away, if this is serious! But that's not feasible, alas. I suppose if this is the beginning of needing a new engine, I have time to read all the archives about the options and where to get them!

And since I can't deal with 100 emails a day from Cairo, I'd like to switch to digest so I can see the replies to this query. Could someone please email me off-line to tell me how to do that?

Thank you!

Joy

p.s. To everyone who sent suggestions on leaving Matilda for the summer, thank you for that as well!

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy