Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:58:09 -0700
From:         Tim Schneider <Tim.Schneider@SYNOPSYS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires

** At 05:50 PM 6/16/2004, Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: **

>I bought the gowesty 16" wheels and the 225/60's a little over a year ago. >Loved the "slot-car" feel of lateral stability in all conditions. Much more >stable ride. I blistered the sidewalls (right 2 tires-no blow-out-no rim >damage) hitting >a rock in the road coming down into Durango, in the rain and since then put >on Michelin 225/70 16's because of the higher sidewall. I still have good >stability in crosswinds, around trucks but not the slot car feel that the >60's gave. I need the higher sidewall for the kind of driving, dirtroad >conditions I tend to get into.

I can second this experience.. was in my wifes 91 honda accord on the Mt. Lemmon highway that we hit a large pothole, same sort of damage. uuuughh

Was exactly for this reason (as well as bob's post in the archives) that I went for 15" gowesty rims and had them put Michelin LTX M/S tires 225/70 R15 on their rims. At first this met with some resistance, but after they did it for me, I received an email back from them that they were recommending this combination for folks with Syncros specifically!

To see what these look like.. check the URL below, from a couple of weekends ago in the National Forest outside of Parks/Williams (N. Arizona)

Enough extra sidewall to make me feel a bit better.. although I think that the next set of tires will be a more aggro offroad type (BFG radial a/t or some such?)

-tim

90 syncro westy mesa/gilbert, az http://tinyurl.com/2ktkx