Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:38:25 -0500
From:         Andrew Gies <andrew_gies@CANGENE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Seam rust?

I just POR15'd the lower seam and utility inlets on my Westy's "utility" panel. I think this is a common trouble spot for Westy's in any geographical location. There is ample opportunity for water to back in there and fester away without you noticing.

Anyhoo - the POR15 is awesome stuff. I don't have any long term comments yet - but it sticks to rust and bare metal like a VERY tough second skin.

FYI - the inside seam is VERY annoying to grind, and an angle grinder won't get in there, so you have to get yourself a dremel, a couple grinding bits and lots of patience.

I slathered both sides with a couple coats of POR15, and then some POR15 sealant in the seam itself. From the looks of it, the rest of the body will rust away before this seam acts up again...

My current issue is the bondo I am using to smooth out the areas where the paint was grinded away. The POR15 "topcoat" primer that they specify to go over the POR15 - bubbles up, and peels away when I put a thin layer of bondo over top. It doesn't warn you about this in the instructions for either the "topcoat" or the bondo. Maybe this is common knowledge - but this is my first attempt at body work - and this is my first go at bodywork.

Anyway, unless your seam rust is REALLY bad - if you take the time to get at it properly, you should be able to stop it in it's tracks.

Andrew

-----Original Message----- From: developtrust [mailto:developtrust@COX.NET] Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 2:54 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Seam rust?

Just be sure to do both sides of the metal or it will rust from the inside.

http://www.por15.com/

MANY PRODUCTS CLAIM TO STOP RUST; SOME ARE PAINTS, SOME ARE CONVERSION PRODUCTS, SOME ARE RUST TREATMENTS. NONE SEEM TO REALLY STOP RUST PERMANENTLY. WHY IS POR-15 DIFFERENT, AND WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE IT WILL WORK ANY BETTER? Rust is caused by moisture coming in contact with metal, which causes a chemical action called oxidation. All paints provide a measure of protection for a while, but since they are eventually softened and weakened by moisture, it is only a matter of time before moisture penetrates the painted surface and attacks the metal below. All of the so-called rust preventive paints on the market (except POR-15) are weakened by exposure to moisture. POR-15 is strengthened by exposure to moisture. Notice the hardness of the POR-15 coating. It doesn't chip, crack, or peel like ordinary paints do, and its hardness will resist the wear and tear of every day life. Rust conversion products claim to change the chemical nature of rust and convert it to a more stable element that won't rust again. History of the failure of these products is well documented; most simply don't work for more than a few months at best, and they are subject to the same chipping and cracking that occurs with ordinary rust coatings.

POR-15 works because it chemically bonds to rusted metal and forms a rock- hard, non-porous coating that won't crack, chip, or peel. It keeps moisture away from metal with a coating that is strengthened by continued exposure to moisture.

******************************************************************* CONFIDENTIAL - This e-mail transmission and any documents attached to it may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission, attachments, and destroy any hard copies.