Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:02:09 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bentley manuals- version page counts
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

I used to try to keep a list of errors I discovered in the wiring diagrams but I misplaced my notes. There aren't many but some could drive a novice bonkers. Some waterboxer diagrams mislabel the ECU relay with fuel pump relay, etc. Some diagrams have wires that cross over each other but don't connect and then on another year they show a connection at the crossing point though there is not one.

Another thing that I'm sure confuses many is the labeling of the various LEDs on the Westy LED panel in the Camper wiring section. The latest book still only shows a very early version with 8 LEDs (4 reds) though the 7 LED version (2 reds) was used from about 82 on. In addition the diagram labels the toggle switch as the pilot flame LED while the true pilot LED is ignored (low center, red). page 97.30 Also the text for the water pump functioning talks about the auto pump shutoff when tank low feature that went away at the same time the 4 red LED panel did. Since there are 5 or so versions of the Westy LED panel it may be VWs fault that Bentley has only the early one. It would be nice if they has the most common one and perhaps a note that other versions exited.

Overall the Bentley stuff for VWs is fantastic compared to other books and even Bentleys for other brands.

Mark

Jim Arnott wrote: > > In my discussions with Stan Wohlfarth at Bentley it became apparent > that perhaps the primary reason for the omission of certain data was > confusion regarding just when changes occurred. The discussion may be > found at: > <http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1125&tstart=60> > > This is quite easy to understand. While VW has exact chassis number > information regarding running changes to the base vehicle, I doubt that > Westfalia was so precise in recording just when a change to the > cabinetry was put into production. > > Thanks to listmembers here and on a couple other lists, we were able to > provide Bentley with the correct information and hopefully, the next > printing will contain the missing pages. > > In my dealings with Bentley, I've found them to be extremely responsive > to both queries for more information and corrections. If you run into > a problem with any Bentley manual, let them know. They apparently have > a strong desire to maintain their reputation for producing the > "correct" manual. > > Jim > >