Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:07:39 -0600
From:         Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Diesel-Vanagon] RE: Finding TDC on I-4 Conversion,
              1.9TD @ 15 degrees

Hmmm...well, how many miles on this rig? That would be my question. And why the assumption the spray was retarded and getting more so? I think by the time the spray was too retarded to ignite the engine would have already stopped unmercifully from destructive interference.

If I assume you are wrong and the real problem is a dying pump, it's a simple matter of resurrecting the pump by whatever means imaginable, including a rebuild.

If you are right, you can remove the camshaft cover and check alignment of the cam. On the rear (hard to see end) there's a wide slot on the camshaft end. When it is parallel to the rim it is in firing position. Sure it can be inexact by a few degrees, everyone has their preferences. When your piston is straight up and the cam is aligned the sprocket should be a few degrees ahead of the mark on the pump flange. If you DO have slippage it most likely is from the sprocket on the camshaft since it has no slotted key. It's just a conical compression fitting and can theoretically slip, although I've never heard of it happening.

-- Gnarlie http://Gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/Notes.html#TimingBelt

Entity Doug Fitz-Randolph spoke thus: