Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jun 2004 06:10:21 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon single electrode plugs
Comments: To: Mark Seifert <ubervanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>

Yeh!!

False advertising! Amen!!

I used to run Fine-Wire Platinum Plugs (2 electrode wires per plug) in my 7-cylinder Jacobs R-755-A2 300 HP engine that was in my Cessna 195. But that was mainly because the Shakey Jake engines - as with most radial engine - were designed as oil burners, and plug fouling was as common as sunrise. The fine wire platinum plugs pretty much eliminated that, although they were mighty expensive as I recall something like $20-25 each way back when. Don't know how much now. And there were 14 of them - two per cylinder. Each row of plus had it's own ignition system. Of course like all piston aircraft engines the two plugs per cylinder ensured efficient engine operation as well as ensure you got to destination. Multi-electrode plugs provide no particular performance advantage, but TWO plugs firing gave a better burn pattern that a single plug and thus better performance.

I sure wouldn't want to have to park that Cessna 195 on the nearest cloud somewhere. Redundency, redundency, all is redundency. But in the name of safety.

BTW, the Jacobs engine ignition systems, unlike most engines which had dual magnetos, had a split system......one magneto and one Automotive type distributor. The engine was started on the distributor, and once started the second mag was switched on. The reason for this was that with an automotive distributor, it was easier to retard the spark for easy starting ignition.

There may be others, but the Shakey Jake was the only engine I evey knew that used that magneto/distributor combination.

I wonder how the WBX would perform with dual plugs and dual ignition??

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver