Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:17:43 -0400
From:         Cory Sammons <slagskot@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: bucking on deceleration...one problem after another
Comments: To: Mark Seifert <ubervanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>

But I refuse to get rid of it, because when it's running well, I > love it. > I think we all sympathize with this one! > > Anyway my new problem, which just started about 4 days ago, is when I let > off the gas pedal at slower speeds the van starts bucking. It does this when > I'm driving around town, between stop signs, and when coming off the > freeway, coasting to a stop in gear. Of course when I press the clutch it > stops. It also does the same thing when I take off from a stop without > giving it a lot of gas. Feels like clutch chatter, but right now I'm not > assuming its a clutch problem because I just had the engine out a few weeks > ago and the clutch disc looked like it had about 80% of life left. > > I have had the van loaded with about 700 pounds of band equipment for the > last few days. I wonder if that might have anything to do with it? Maybe > I'll unload it and see if that changes anything. I'm wondering if maybe it > has something to do with the throttle switch. Isn't it supposed to lean out > the fuel mixture when you let off the throttle? I don't know...I've been > testing and adjusting everything I can think of, and now I'm stumped. > > Has anyone had this problem and found a cure?

I just had a similar problem and it was a clogged injector. I swore it was a clutch thing! Check your ignition system including injectors and make sure you have the basics - fuel, air, and spark. I did this by idling the engine and removing one wire from the distributor cap at a time and then replacing it (someone may have a better method!). You should hear a noticeable change in the engine sound each time you knock yourself down to 3 cylinders. If you don't hear a change, then you've found the culprit. Good Luck Cory Sammons 84 Westy 99 New Beetle