Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:28:03 -0700
From:         Ryan Press <ryan@PRESSLAB.US>
Subject:      Re: Brakes (upgraded and standard)

Kim Brennan said: > I was giving some thought on a drive home late Saturday to the issue of > brakes. The few folks that have actually upgraded to the "big brake" > kits haven't had really definitive comments on whether they allow you > to brake "better. This is not what this posting is about however. > > Braking is, in essence, a way to transfer motion energy into heat > energy. it does this by the mechanical application of calipers (and > brake shoes) to the front discs (primarly, but also to the rear brake > drums). The resulting friction of the brake pads/shoes against the > discs/drums results in the generation of heat. In time it also slows > the vehicle down. However, now you have hot discs/drums. > > In order to improve your braking capability, then, you need to do at > least one of the following, increase the clamping force, increase the > friction factor, increase the transfer of energy (heat) to the > destination (discs, shoes). > > The Big Brake kits, primarily attack the last two items. The friction > factor is increased (marginally, in my opinion) by having a larger wear > area (larger diameter disc). The transfer of energy is increased by > adding more mass to the discs and adding ventilation to the discs > (meaning they can accept more heat in, as they in turn can transfer it > to the air faster. ) > > Note that cross drilled discs (frequently available in high end sports > and sporty cars) add increased ventilation with the cross drilling, > with a slight loss of mass of the disc. I presume that they have done > sufficient testing to notice a gain in the heat transfer with the > added ventilation despite the loss of mass. Since there is also, > however the added benefit of removing unsprung mass (increasing > acceleration performance) there may be a separate compromise decision > impinging on cross drilling. > > Of course, this is all just 2am rambling. The type of discussions that > geeks have way too late at night... >

I've been giving thought to my 2wd Vanagon Westy's braking capabilities as well. Just this last weekend, towing my dirt bike down the Hopland Grade, my brakes were overheating.

It takes a pretty substantial pedal force to lock the wheels up, and obviously the brakes are becoming too hot for the friction material.

With the big brake conversion it seems like a lot of money for a marginal increase in braking capability.

I am not convinced cross-drilled rotors are the best solution either. If the holes are truly drilled and not cast-in then they can become the starting point for stress cracking. I much prefer slotted rotors, with a cast-in slot. I have these on my MkIV GTI.

Also, I believe the benefit to cross-drilled rotors is to allow hot gases to escape the brake pad surface, and that cross-drilled rotors do not substantially cool the rotors down vs standard vented rotors.

I have in my possession a set of shoes and pads from Porterfield Brakes. They have the R4-S Carbon-Kevlar compound. They have an average coefficient of friction of 0.4 mu, and advertise low dust and long rotor/drum life.

I have not yet installed these pads and shoes and I'll post an update when I've had a chance to give them a good test.

Ryan