Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:43:13 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sway bar link breakage - are you at risk?
Comments: To: "Chris S." <mrpolak@YAHOO.COM>

I don't think I totally agree with this. I had one break on my 84, and it was rusted as you write. So I replaced it with another used one in good shape - using grease liberally. That one broke a few months later.

It could have something to do with the roads here in CO, where the earth shifts constantly so we have lots of dips. Not surprisingly, both breaks occurred when bottoming on a dip. So I would say the stress of the dip is certainly a factor.

"Chris S." <mrpolak@YAHOO.COM> wrote: No, this is not a lecture about VD, boys and girls. ;-)

I replaced the sway bar on the front of Hershey due to a broken right sway bar down link. I had to literally POUND the broken stud out of its mount because it was rusted solidly in place. I took a good look at the front suspension, the good link along with its sleeve and here are my thoughts: The sway bar links look as if they need to be able to rotate and move along with the front suspension and react to any play in the front bushings under braking and cornering forces. When your links rust in place, possibly because the van sat up long enough for rust to form, this slight movement is no longer possible which puts excessive side loads on the skinny links. Then you either hit a big bump with one wheel or brake forcibly and PANG! - you've got yourself a broken down link.

I'd like to hear what others think of this and if you think semi-annual lubage of the links, sleeves and bushings with some waterproof grease would help to reduce the likelyhood of this type of failure.

May the lube be with you,

===== Chris S.'85 Westy Camel -> http://www.knology.net/~vw/dadada.jpg'84 Westy Hershey -> http://www.knology.net/~vwghost/hershey/'01 NB TDI -> http://www.knology.net/~vw/Beetle.jpg