Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:07:46 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: How to swap tranny bellhousing and input shaft?

The bellhousing will unbolt after you remove some bolts inside the bell area and 4 down low outside. Then the input shaft is held on with a circlip, an inner splined sleeve, and a threaded stud. This is often a struggle to remove and reinstall as the "stars" must be aligned properly first. I have done it about 20 times so it can't be too bad.

It is virtually impossible to bend the input shaft so I would not worry about that.

Mark

Tobin Copley wrote: > > Hi all, > > I have *finally* found time to pull the transmission out of my diesel > westy in preparation of replacing it with a different (but still > diesel) transmission. The one going in has an aircooled bellhousing > and input shaft on it, so I'll need to: > > 1) remove the diesel bellhousing and diesel input shaft off my old > diesel tranny, > 2) remove the aircooled bellhousing and aircooled input shaft off the > "new" diesel tranny, then > 3) put my old diesel bellhousing and diesel input shaft on to my "new" > diesel tranny. > > Make sense? > > This procedure does not seem to be covered in my Bentley. Will it be > obvious how to proceed? There are smoke bolts I can see inside the > bellhousing that seem like the ones I should remove to pull the > bellhousing. Once I get that off, will there be an equally obvious set > of bolts to remove to take the input shaft off? If not, can someone > show me the way? > > When I put it back together, how much do I torque the bolts? > > Finally, when removing the transmission (by myself--a bit tricky) I was > unable to keep the input shaft perfectly straight with respect to the > engine at all times, and put a little up/down or sideways force on it > as I separated the transmission from the engine. I'd been warned to > "take care not to bend the input shaft" so I gotta ask, just how > delicate is that thing and how much force are we talking about to > possibly bend it? It looks pretty substantial to me. Is there a way > to test to see if anything got bent? > > Thanks! > > T. > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > Tobin Copley Vancouver, BC, Canada 49deg 23'N-123deg 19'W > > '82 Westfalia 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") > '97 son Russell ============= > '99 daughter Margaret /_| |_L| |__|:| clatter > SPEED KILLS! [. = .| clatter! > Drive a Vanagon diesel ~-()-==----()-~ ~ ~