Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:22:32 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Blown engine: Yet another update (long)

For those of you who have been following my misadventure, I went by the dealer's shop today and took some pictures. I don't have a web page to post them on, but I can describe what I found. The piston connecting rod that was sticking out of the top of the engine had no signs of ever having had a place to put connecting rod bolts. That's how tore up it was. The hole in the top of the engine was about 4 by 6 inches big. I pulled the dipstick and it showed that the engine was about two-thirds full of fairly clean oil. Suspecting that the dealer might have filled it up after the fact, I drained the oil into one of those fairly flat containers that has a big pan-type funnel on it that was yellow. The oil was fairly dark, not as clean as I would have expected had it been just put in and never run in the engine. It was, of course, full of small metal bits and pieces. I pulled the oil filter and took a hacksaw and cut it in half. It was full of dark oil, though the filter material was fairly clean.

Backing up a bit, I just showed up at the dealership with no appointment and asked for the key to my van and to speak to the service manager. He met me around back where the van was with the technician that had worked on the van and I proceeded to take out a bunch of stuff I had in there from camping the previous weekend. The technician allowed as to how he'd never seen one of these engines do that before, but he was younger than me and they don't get that many Vanagons in there. I had one of my colleagues with me, not for intimidation (he's about 450 pounds), but because he's jovial, observant, and a good listener. He and the service manager talked and watched me take stuff out. Then I got out the cameras, one digital, one analog, in case digital pix weren't acceptable should anything go to court. I took the first couple of pictures, then the service manager reached over and grabbed the biggest piece of loose metal and pulled it out and said that I should get a picture of that too. He offered one or two other suggestions as I proceeded to document the mileage, the fact that the oil pressure warning light actually worked, drained the oil, and pulled the filter. When he saw that I was having trouble cutting the filter, he put his foot on one end of it to steady it for me.

All in all, the service manager was very friendly, cooperative, helpful, professional, and seemed genuinely concerned with my predicament, but in the manner of someone who felt my pain but couldn't do anything to assuage it, not like somebody who has done something wrong and is on the defense. This was new for me. Under the old ownership, which changed about a year ago, I had grown quite accustomed to upset customers being argued with, constant technician shortages, and a multitude of excuses for why things wouldn't work right. The new ownership had also completely re-done the waiting area, service counter, parts counter and the way that they take your vehicle. Now you pull up to the service bay door, and check in at the front desk. The parking lot was not overflowing with vehicles waiting to be serviced (a first), and there was no line of people waiting to be checked in (another first). The check-in clerk said they were trying something new to see if they could keep people from having to wait. It was apparently working.

Back to the meat of the matter, I also sent some of the digital pictures up to Bob Donalds to get his opinion on the matter. He basically said that the amount of damage suffered by the engine wouldn't likely have happened in the two miles that I drove the van after leaving the dealership. We talked about quite a few other things, who rebuilt the engine before, how I had maintained the vehicle and such, but everything tended to lead me to the conclusion that I'm going to be buying my own engine.

Sigh . . . Marc Perdue