Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:46:13 -0600
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Non-Family Hauler / rear lap belts are much more safe than no
              belt

>Anonymous Digest wrote:

I hate the way this makes me look anonymous :-)

>> >John, she survived the accident relatively intact. Broken kneecap was the >single worst injury. Lesson learned.

I am glad I misread that part and that she was not seriously injured.

>She still had the lap portion of the belt across har lap, but by sliding the >shoulder harness down, she defeated the purpose of the shoulder restraint, and >left herself wide open to what ever forces were applied in whatever direction >they were applied.

My poorly phrased point was that by not having the shoulder harness on, she was not wearing any seat belt at all and left herself wide open to what happens to a body with no seat belt at all. There is zero restraint in such a harness when the shoulder portion is not in place. The belt across the lap only becomes a restraining device when the shoulder portion locks into place during the crash or other sudden movement.

I am not telling you anything you don't already know, I just would not want anyone to read all of this and come away thinking that if they slide the shoulder section off, they are still wearing a seat belt, since we know that is not the case at all.

As usual, I made the point quite poorly, but again, I am glad it turned out better for her than I first read.

Best Regards

John