Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:39:49 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil filter question

> I see everyone say to only use MANN or Mahle oil filters, > What about Bosch? Thanks -- Jim Newcomb

> Bosch are fine too. In Canada, Bosch appear identical to the > VW filters sold at the dealer, made in the US by Champion. > See this link for a test which seems to suggest this also: > http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy-german.html

I disagree. Mann and Mahle make a specific Vanagon oil filter. Champion/Bosch does not. There is a difference.

If you look at the test linked above, it covers the Golf/Jetta filter (Mahle OC47/49 and Mann W719/5). While this filter will physically fit a watercooled Vanagon, it is NOT the correct oil filter for it. It's completely different internally in all respects - the pressure bypass, anti-drainback valve, and even the quality of the paper filter element - as per original Volkswagen spec. In the U.S., only Mahle and Mann - not Bosch - still offer the OEM Vanagon filter that meets original specs - the Mahle OC108 or Mann W719/12. This is the filter that we sell for the Vanagon, under the VW part number 070115561. (Direct link: <http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=070115561>)

The fact that this filter is NOT interchangeable with the Golf/Jetta filter was confirmed by Mahle themselves (who were OEM to Volkswagen when the Vanagons were built). Several years ago (as this issue comes up on the list periodically), a list member actually emailed Mahle in Germany to ask whether the Golf/Jetta filter could safely be used on a Vanagon. Mahle/Germany replied with a resounding "no," stating that using that filter on a Vanagon could result in oil starvation on startup. It's in the archives if anyone cares to look for it.

Despite this, the U.S. filter manufacturers all sell the Golf/Jetta filter as being suitable for the Vanagon. I suppose they don't sell enough Vanagon filters to justify producing a special filter for it, and perhaps don't feel that the difference is significant (or even may be unaware of it, since they were never OEM suppliers for the Vanagon to begin with). Unfortunately, here in North America this applies to Bosch as well, since they are simply rebranding U.S. made Champion filters instead of selling their own OEM filter as they do elsewhere in the world. If you look up a Vanagon in a U.S. Bosch filter catalog, it lists the same 71250 filter that is indicated for Golf, Jetta, etc. Just as in a Champion, Wix, or other U.S. filter catalog. By comparison, the Mann and Mahle catalogs have never listed these filters as being interchangeable.

We sell the correct Vanagon filter for only $4.29. Which is actually cheaper than the Bosch costs at most places. Keep a few onhand, whether you do oil changes yourself or just provide one to your mechanic to make absolutely sure he uses the right one. Maybe the real-world difference is insignificant, but the original suppliers of the Vanagon filter (who should know) clearly think otherwise. Filters are cheap. Engines are expensive. Why chance it?

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT