Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:45:51 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: salvage yard experiences?
Comments: To: Jim Kennedy <jk@projectdesign.com>

Jim, thanks for the description of the experience. I guess you don't have any recommendations for a yard in the SF Bay area?

Also, do I just drive over to the yard for the experience? Or, should I call first and ask if they have a lot of vanagon parts. Pick-n-pull seems like a nice large place that would be a good place to start.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:09:24 -0700, Jim Kennedy <jk@projectdesign.com> wrote: > > From San Diego: salvage yards are tons of fun and can yield lots of goodies. > Bring your basic tools and wheel barrow to put stuff in. Bring plenty of > cash, because you don't want to find all kinds of useful stuff, and come up > short. Bring close-toed shoes etc. Once you enter the yard, a visceral, > primal feeling comes over the normal male, with all these cars and parts for > the taking. It can be a little exhilarating. ONE TIME, I was in the yard > (I only go once a year or so) when the forklift brought a fresh Vanagon > (about 1987 model) and set in on its stand. This car was so good looking > and complete, I could not figure out how it ended up in the yard.. It had > every single part on it, but alas, I only had a few dollars on me.. > > Have fun > > Jim > '87 GL > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Craig Oda [mailto:craigoda@GMAIL.COM] > Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 10:45 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: salvage yard experiences? > > Part of the joy of owning a Westy is keeping it running. I'm > approaching the upkeep and maintenance of the vehicle as a hobby. > Right now, I'm considering taking the next leap in my hobby and > investigating a salvage yard. I've never done this before. Actually, > the possibility of having a poor experience is making me hesitant to > go to a salvage yard. Could someone with experience going to salvage > yards and getting parts for a vanagon give me some advice? If someone > has experience in the SF Bay, that would be awesome. > > The things I'm looking for in a salvage yard: > - availability of vanagon parts. Or, a way to find out if the parts > are there before driving down to the shop > - fair price that I don't have to check at other sources. > - waiting room or some other safe place for the wife and kids > - friendly or efficient interaction with the person at the yard I > would have to deal with > > If I look at the pick-n-pull web site, it shows a picture of a nice > waiting room. There's a pick-n-pull in north san jose, CA that I'm > considering going to one weekend. Are these reputable yards and > enjoyable to go to? > > I also called a shop in East Palo , CA. The owner was really nice > (Infinity Salvage). However, he didn't have any vanagons that he was > parting out. > > I live near Stanford University, so a yard from Redwood City to San > Jose would be convenient. Do you have recommendations? > > I'm looking for double middle seat for the Westy so that I can carry > six people. My parents are coming to visit their grandson again. > > If I have a pleasant experience at a salvage yard in the SF Bay area, > I may one day try to get a temporary 1.9L waterboxer to drop into the > van while I crack the case of the existing engine and check the > camshaft for wear. Though, this would be further down the line. >