Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:21:04 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: timing belt

Simon Reinhardt <simon@FARRSIDE.NET> wrote: > Not everyone who drives a > vanagon is a seasoned mechanic, so I suggest that when people ask > questions here, we simply answer them without going out of our way to > make them feel uniformed.

Are you kidding? It's better if we jump down their throats INSTANTLY! If they don't like it, they are obviously too sensitive!

Sesitivity has very little to do with it. Jumping down somebody's throat is a "last resort, uncivilized" sort of responce, and should be saved for somebody who has proved that they are beyond redemption.

I think we should welcome with as much politeness and helpful attitude as we can anyone who, by buying an "ancient" Vanagon/Westy camper, has decided to join our group. Not everybody WANTS to turn wrenches, even though they bought an older machine. Also, most younger folks don't want to be bothered with anything mechanical, and would rather buy new, rather than repair.

If you have learned something (often the HARD way), why would you wish to punish someone else who wishes to learn by a slightly less expensive route what may already be known?

My $0.02

Evan Mac Donald

1984 Wolfburg 1985 GL 7 Pass. 1991 Carat Weekender