Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:10:12 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rings?  New engine?
Comments: To: Blake Thornton <blake@MATH.WUSTL.EDU>

Yup...that would be rings.

Blake Thornton <blake@MATH.WUSTL.EDU> wrote: I am afraid that my 84 might need some serious engine work. Here are the symptoms:

- When I start up the van, it blows a lot of grey smoke initially. Quite a lot and it keeps getting worse. After the van is warmed up, the van runs alright.

- I just changed my spark plugs. 3 of the 4 were pretty oily. I had an exhaust leak and took off the forward most exhaust pipe. The pipe was pretty oily and black.

- Lately, my vans wants to stall out when cold, which leads me to needing to keeping my foot on the pedal when I am driving. This seems to go away when the van gets warmed up.

I am thinking that my rings are probably shot. My engine has 160,000 miles on it (with probably around 20K on new head gaskets). What are my options? I am thinking that I can probably just run this engine for a while longer (assuming I pass emmissions) and see about finding a used engine or something soon.

Thanks for any input you can offer!! Blake 84 Westy St Louis