Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:19:24 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle Stablizer '85
Comments: To: joe trussell <vanagongl@hotmail.com>

Joe, the idle stabilizer is an entirely different beast on 84-85 1.9L engines comparied to the 86-91 2.1L engines. I have a '83 1.9L, same as yours.

People say that the idle stabilizer doesn't really affect engine performance. However, in my personal experience, a new idle stabilizer solved my surging problem. Sure, I may have other problems that the idle stabilizer is masking. But, when I bought a new idle stabilizer, it solved my problem. For me, it was $50 well spent. Now, it doesn't surge.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:04:42 +0000, joe trussell <vanagongl@hotmail.com> wrote: > > Hi Folks, > > I've combed the archives and have found a lot of good info, but maybe I just > drank a wee bit too much last night and am having trouble processing it > all... > > My '85 GL wouldn't start last year, so I took it in to a shop here, and they > got it running...They didn't tell me exactly what they did (I was in a hurry > and just picked it up and went) but it ran fine, although I've been fighting > the surging idle problem since (and even before then.) > > I cleaned all connections, replaced grounds, tuned up, cleaned the AFM, then > noticed that the idle stabilizer had been bypassed. > > I re-connected it and it seems like it ran better; I didn't have that little > hesitation off the line and the idle didn't completely correct itself, but > it had less of a surge (maybe 900-1100 instead of 1000-1400.) > > A couple of days ago, it wouldn't start at all. So, I disconnected the idle > stabilizer again and it started right up. Still idles like crap, but it's > running! It also seems to struggle for power above 3500 RPM. It just takes > forever to rev up there, and makes getting on the interstate even more of a > scary adventure. > > My question is, is it bad to run without the idle stabilizer, and does a > good working idle stabilizer have much effect on performance? Asking out of > curiosity more than anything; I'm going to go ahead and get a new one but > wanted to see what y'all thought. > > Thanks for any help, I certainly appreciate it! > > PS: those cupholers from campingworld are the greatest! Just installed a > few and was able to discard my ugly plastic igloo center console... > > Joe T. > Denver, CO > '85 GL 'action van' > > _________________________________________________________________ > Watch the online reality show Mixed Messages with a friend and enter to win > a trip to NY > http://www.msnmessenger-download.click-url.com/go/onm00200497ave/direct/01/ >