Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:54:16 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: metal bypass coolant pipe
Comments: To: Daniel Erlandson <danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET>

Haven't BTDT, but if I had to try it with stuff on hand, I'd try two pieces of split rubber hose, applied with the splits 90 degrees apart. Pipe well slathered with RTV or gasket sealent before applying, and a couple hose clamps to hold the whole works in place.

Not a guaranteed solution, but it just might be crazy enuff to work...

At 04:59 PM 6/28/2004 -0400, you wrote: >Hey Volks, > > I seem to have developed a small leak in the metal coolant pipe that >goes basically from the thermostat to the water pump. I believe that >it is called a bypass pipe, it is on the driver's side. I ordered one >from Ken at Vanagain last night, the questions is when will I have the >time to get it in (hoping for the weekend). I was hoping that I could >repair it for the short term with maybe a muffler bandage? The leak >isn't present when the engine is off, it starts to drip, drip, drip >when the pressure in the system starts to build. I'm not suggesting >trying to put off the inevitable, just looking for a quick and easy >solution that would buy me a couple of days, keep my wife mobile around >town and save me the cost of a rental car. Any experiences? Thanks > > > > >Dan Erlandson >Flemington, NJ >1991 Vanagon GL 184k >1999 Passat 1.8L 137k > >Dan Erlandson >Flemington, NJ >1991 Vanagon GL 183k >1999 Passat 1.8L 133k