Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:50:31 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Attachments... txt files passing throught Gerry,
              will zip in future
Comments: To: Aristotle Sagan <killer_jupiter@HOTMAIL.COM>

Tim, and other Vanagon list members,

This is the second time that I remember where text file attachments that I have sent in response to a list question have gotten through to Tim and, I assume, everyone else. 99.9% of the time this should not be a problem as my computer is set up to check Norton Antivirus regularly (daily on boot and at other times) for updates. IIRC, there was a virus a few weeks ago where it took the folks at Norton (Symantec) about 24 hours or so to get the update out and some folks got burned. I don't use MS Outlook or MS Internet Explorer so this also limits exposure to those viruses which play on weaknesses in those programs. But this might make some worried.

When I come upon a good post about a common problem, or one I have faced or anticipate is coming my way, I cut and paste it into Notepad and save it as a text (.txt) file. It is much quicker than opening a large program like Word or WordPerfect. I have over 300 of these text files, saved from both current postings and searches through the archives. Some are one post, others a compilation of multiple posts. Including pictures and the many component parts of web pages about vanagons I have saved, I actually have over 3300 files and over 200 subfolders in a major folder for Vanagon information.

So, when someone asks a question and I think I have some files that might help, and when no one has already provided them with the answer, I will often send that individual an email with the files attached. Obviously, these will often include text files. I sometimes send a copy of the email to the list so others will know that I have the files and can ask if they are interested. I assume that the attachments will get stripped by Gerry and .pdf, .doc, .zip, and .html files always seem to get stripped. Obviously this is not always the case.

Both incoming and outgoing emails are checked by Norton Anti-Virus on my machine. However, since it is not 100% foolproof, I will try to remember to zip the text files before sending them when I cc: the list. This should insure that they don't get passed along through Gerry.

Sam

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL 85 Westy Weekender

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.