Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:03:35 -0400
From:         Jeff Ham <speakerdesign@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: JiffyLube, bad idea!
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>

I would stay away from Jiffy Lube and the like. The people they hire are the lowest on the mechanic totem pole, some are not mechanically inclined or even very smart for that matter! I've had several very bad experiences with this type of oil change service shop. One place (I think it was a Jiffy Lube) ruined my (not VW) oil pan after stripping the bolt head with the wrong tool and then putting the wrong replacement plug in! The next day I went out to my garage and the floor was covered with oil, the entire contents of my oil pan had drainned out! This was an expensive repair that I had to get them to pay for. Imagine what would have happened if I took a long drive after getting my oil changed! Given that it is very easy to strip the drain plug in a Vanagon and overtightening is one of the most common mistakes these bozos make I think it's crazy to take a Vanagon to one of these shops. I now have a local mechanic do all my oil changes. It's not much more expensive and cheaper if you consider the hassle and problems not to mention the things they try and rip you off for.