Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:25:08 -0400
From:         Jason Pufahl <jasonpufahl@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: tell me what to buy...
Comments: To: Gina <gg811@COMCAST.NET>

Gina,

Here is a list of tires that someone posted awhile ago. It's a good starting place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- - Regarding tires, here's what I found over the last few months of research:

1) Light truck (LT) tires, load-rated C or D, are the safest. Most people do not recommend passenger tires for this vehicle due to the insufficient load ratings of passenger tires in the 205/70R 14 (and alternative 195/75R 14 and 185R 14) size. Reinforced passenger tires were recommended by VW, but I don't believe they are available any more. This leaves you with LT C or D tires as the only ones that meet the specs for the Vanagon.

2) I've yet to see a 205/70R 14 tire in an LT size. They are widely available among passenger tires, though.

3) For the LT 195/75R 14 size, you have several options for LT, load-rated C tires. Last I checked, the following were available in this size:

BF Goodrich Commercial T/A All Season Michelin LTX Mud and Snow Goodyear Wrangler HT (Highway) Goodyear Wrangler AT Yokohama Y356 Cooper Discoverer LT Uniroyal: Laredo HD/H Uniroyal Laredo All-Season AWP Uniroyal HD/H with Nailguard Bridgestone Dueler AT with Uni-T Michelin XC LT4 Nokian Hakkapeliitta CS and CQ

4) Since you have the Carat alloy wheels, you can also use a 27 x 8.5 x 14 tire, although your spare may not fit in the standard spare tire carrier in the front without buying the adapter from www.volkscafe.com (or fabricating your own, of course). This size can be about an inch more in diameter than the 205/70R 14's that you have now, and about a half-inch wider. Here are tires I found in this size:

Bridgestone Dueler AT with Uni-T Dayton Timberline AT Kelly Safari SJR (320BC) Dunlop Radial Rover RV (discontinued; new model may be available) BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA K/O Wrangler AT Cooper Discoverer LT

5) There are also a couple of commercial tires that I believe have a highway-only tread -- a viable choice if all your driving is on paved roads in the summer. I believe Michelin makes an XCA in 205/75R 14, and I've heard Bridgestone makes a similar model. These tires are slightly larger than the 205/70R 14 but slightly smaller than the 27 x 8.5 x 14.

Hope this helps.

- Kevin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gina" <gg811@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 9:16 PM Subject: tell me what to buy...

i'd need to go tire shopping tomorrow and would like any strong opinions on what to get. i have 14'' stock rims and currently have bald 195/70 S rated Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my 85 GL. they are the only tires i've had since i got the van so i don't know what's better or worse. i'm also wondering how a lettered tire or even a whitewall might look. i am looking for moon hubcaps as well. if you have any pictures you could share with me or advice, i would appreciate emailing me directly as i realize a great deal of tire threads go through the list and i don't want to drag out an old subject for everyone. thank you. gina