Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:13:46 -0700
From:         Rob Campbell <rob@PHEMP.COM>
Subject:      minor accident questions

Hello-

(I have an 88 Vanagon Westy)

Today I was stopped in a long line of traffic, when I suddenly heard the sickening screech of tires, then a loud crash. Looked in the rearview mirror and saw a lot of smoke, and then a slow wave of other crashes. I was rear ended and therefor hit the vehicle in front of me too.

(this is 45th Ave in Seattle, that big hill leading down to U. Village, for those who know the area)

Good news is that nobody was hurt. 2 cars were totally undrivable, the "culprit" vehicle was I daresay totalled... it seemed to have dumped all its coolant and was releasing a lot of white smoke. Most of the other cars were also leaking in some way... I was "lucky".

My rear bumper was flattened. It seems like it did a good job absorbing the impact, the rear hatch seems fine. The bumper is all flared up, covering half of the license plate tightly (cant open it at all). The front smacked into a landrover's big spare wheel, you can almost see the spoke pattern on my van's front face. The grill and lights and glass all seem OK, its the painted metal area between the grill and windshield; it is quite "wrinkled".

Police came, I got all the names and numbers and plates and insurance companies, let my company know. My questions:

I already called my mechanic to ask about availability of new bumpers. It seems like that might be an easy fix, that a new one will just fit right on. These are apparantly not easy to come by, I called a couple places which had none, and one place (Absolute German) said "you don't want the bumpers we have, and we have the best selection in Seattle". So I'm wondering what insurance companies are likely to do with these eccentric parts. Do they look up the value on some chart and make me a payment, and I am left to spend it wisely?

I am doubting they will send an agent out to scour the planet and give me a new bumper to my satisfaction.

The same question applies to the front end bodywork. It seems like all of the dash, radiator, fan, etc will need to come out for any hope of fixing it, and it would need to be repainted. How much would work like this cost, and is insurance likely to actually cover it?

Is there anything I can/should do about this? I've been hit before, in other vehicles, where I was just able to take it to the dealer and they gave it back to me, all fixed up... I don't think this is an option with an ancient classic like this Vanagon. Anyone been through this able to help?

I need to get the bumper off so that I can have access to the coolant/oil. Is it really significantly dangerous to drive with no bumper at all? I have an uncancellable trip down to California this week, I am sure I won't be able to handle repairs before then.

If anyone has been through this and has any advice, I would love to hear it... also ballpark estimates in what I can expect to pay for a rear bumper replacement (or should I take this opportunity to upgrade?) and front-face bodywork would be great. I have no idea what this should cost to fix, so if the insurance company makes an offer, I'd like to know if its reasonable or not.

Thanks!

Rob Campbell 87 Westy, Seattle, slightly wounded