Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:21:19 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: exhaust stud removal broken

If it's where you can lock the head up in a drill press, why don't you find the center of the bolt and step drill it till you get it close enough to the inside thread diameter to chase it out with a tap. You'll need a bottoming tap too unless the hole is a good bit deeper than the bolt.

That heat deal doesn't work so well with aluminum and steel. Once I had the same thing happen to a 911 head, and ended up having another bolt welded onto the exposed threads of the broken one. but if I had it to do again I'd drill it out.

Jim