Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:10:24 -0700
From:         developtrust <developtrust@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: minor accident PICS
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

Before you go and buy a new rear bumper and since you have to take it off anyway see what you can do with a sledge hammer and a few 2 by 4's. You will be surprised at how well you can straighten a bumper with a few good whacks with a heavy hammer or sledge. Help from a friend will be good to help stabilize the bumper while you whack away and wear gloves for Pete's sake.

Then there is replacing it with a custom made 4 by 6 piece of lumber or large metal tubing.

Think of it as an opportunity to upgrade to custom choices.

With a little patience that front end metal can be fixed with the right tools or using wooden levers to stretch that metal back out. Then if you are not happy after a paint job to the front cover it with a bra. No one but you will know th difference. Fix that rust spot before it gets worse. Pry the rubber up with plastic spatulas then grind or sand away the rust. Use some naval jelly on both sides and even a little bondo then repaint. If you do not fix that rust now it will eat away and be a much more difficult repair needing welding later. A tedious job but worth doing. It can be done without removing the windshield but if you have the patience remove the windshield for easy access to the underside rust.

You were very lucky to have such minimal damage. I see it as a do it yourself job.

William