Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:52:51 -0400
From:         Connor McBryde <connor.mcbryde@MED.VA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: stereo install

Having just installed a new Kenwood CD head unit and 4 new 4" speakers in my '85 Westy this weekend, thought I would pass along a few things I learned in the process:

1) Rewire the rear speakers. The Westy has a strange stock wiring system whereby the rear speakers share a common ground wire. My old Alpine seemed to suffer this oddity just fine, but it caused severe distortion and low output from my new unit. Separating the grounds has cured the problem and allowed full output.

2) Running wires to the overhead compartment in the rear is difficult, but I decided to follow the stock wiring route. I removed the 2 small air vent grilles from the right side upper air distributor (where the side curtains slide along over the sliding door), pulled out the blocks of foam sealing the inside up, and used a fish tape to pull wires from front to back.

3) To get the wires from the dashboard up to the air distributor is challenging. Remove the glovebox and trace the entry of a wiring harness through a hole on the extreme right side of the front end of the vehicle to the right and above the glovebox. If you carefully loosen up the headliner unit in the front (it is made of a fagile, thin plywood-be careful especially around the side edges-splinters readily) and reach the forward right corner of the A-pillar you will feel a hole in the sheetmetal. A fishtape can be fed through this hole down the A-pillar and out by the glovebox. Wear long sleeves to protect against abrasions from the plywood as well as the fiberglass insulation packed into this space. You also might need to remove the passenger side A-pillar grab handle and plastic anchors to remove obstruction to the fishtape-I did. Be careful when you reinstall the grab handle so that the screws do not damage the wiring behind. Pull your wires up into the headliner area and detach from the fishtape.

4) Now take your fishtape and enter the forward grill opening over the sliding door and feed it forward along the wiring harness visible here. The clearances are tight and several passes had to be made until the fishtape would feed into the headliner area, never mind pull back 2 speaker wire pairs. I used heavy duty wire for fear of abrasion in an area I could not readily inspect.

5) Now entering the air distributor from behind the right rear speaker, feed the fishtape forward towards the front air grill opening, and pull back your wires into the overhead cabinet.

6) My Westy has rear A/C, and the Kenwood grilles required modifications with a Dremel along the inner edges to clear the A/C vent unit. I had to undercut the inside edges to fit over the A/C grille.

7) Front speakers need a flush grille if you are using the stock location, due to window cranks. You seem to have 2 choices-a spacer to increase handle clearance, or reuse the stock speaker grilles. The stock units in my car were very unusual-Blaupunkt speakers with a permanently attached grille assembly which threads onto the speakers. I cut off the threaded portion behind the grille with a Dremel/cutting wheel attachment to leave just the flat grille, then drilled holes to match the speaker flanges and sandwiched the door panel assembly in between. Works like a charm, and with black screws very unobtrusive.

8) Some type of subwoofer is sorely needed. Bass response with 4" speakers is marginal at best. I am considering a subwoofer tube assembly behind the seat to compensate, vs larger speakers in the door below the stock locations.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Connor 85 Westy/02 Subaru 2.5L