Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 2004 06:19:46 -0700
From:         Robert Campbell <rcampbell-vanagon6706@MAILBLOCKS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trusting Your Machine

Mike,

I trust my Vanagon and I know my Vanagon. When I first got it (over a year ago), I took it to a local (and recommended) mechanic to give it the "once over." The result: all seems well. I drove my Vanagon around my "area" for several hundred miles, learning what noises and sounds are "normal" and kept an eye on things. While I'm not a mechanic, I'm not afraid to care for my Vanagon. I mean that I've changed the oil, rotated the tires, replaced belts, tinkered with the electrical, added a keyless entry, and so on for my Vanagon. I choose to "get to know" my Vanagon so, should the event arise, well I can do the best that I can.

Early in my relationship, I got the perplexing flashing oil LED/buzzer treatment. I just about freaked! But, after searching the archives and bit, I learned all about it -- and after putting in 20W50 I've never seen the problem since.

Only once, did my Vanagon fail me, and if I had take action that I should have earlier, it would not have been an issue. (my fuel line got disconnected, I was smelling a faint odor of gas but chose to do nothing at the time)

All that said, you can cruise over to http://www.vanagonauts.com and check out the Vanagon Rescue Squad. Our community has been known to go to great lengths to help out a fellow driver. Heck, if you want to drive south to let your Vanagon stretch its legs, head south to Palm Beach county -- if you need help, well, you can always give me a shout (I'll provide you with contact info if you want to do this).

Based on my meager knowledge, you should get your Vanagon a checkup -- I used to worry about the dreaded fuel fire thing, but no more -- mechanic assured me all is well and SHOWED me what to look for, so now I look instead of worry. Every time I gas up, I walk around and check things out, just so I know what's right and not.

And, I don't think any of this is extreme behavior for ANY car you own. After all, look at how many of us drive these older vehicles (mine is my daily driver), and the vast majority of the road-worthy look very good for a vehicle anwhere from 13 to 20+ years in age, and most vehicles will age gracefully with proper care. My 1991 Carat has taken school children to Sea World (a 3 hour ride, 70+MPH with the A/C all the way), and transported friends and family to parties and events, and, while on the outside you wouldn't notice, I was smiling all the way driving my Bus!

Good luck, have fun and enjoy!

-Robert

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Rule <mikerule@UFL.EDU> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:57:34 -0400 Subject: Trusting Your Machine

Hi Ya'll,

Silly Question, but I thought it would be an interesting survey- and one that is simply opinion-based, so no one can accuse right or wrong answers- but hey- feel free to tell me not to post useless drivel like this if you're so inclined!

This may apply more to the pre'86 models, but all years seem significantly quirky enough that anybody might "feel my pain"...

Obviously there are plenty of brave Volks who travel all over in their Groovy Vans, accumulating fun times and memories... but I gotta tell ya, I'm a bit terrified!

Reading the constant issues that seem to randomly arise in these machines makes me VERY hesitant to got much further than St. Augustine's or Tampa Beach (from Gainesville, 1-2.5hrs), for fear of some horrific random tranny/ head-gasket blow-out, faulty fuel-line-induced fire, silent coolant loss, lite-switch blow-out turning my dash into a brown puddle of goo... I mean, short of rebuilding EVERYTHING, when does one begin to feel comfy and cozy??

Please bear in mind, this is sorta tongue-in-cheek griping! I am admittedly neurotic and anxiety-driven (hah!), altho I have already spent about $3K prepping the vehicle to Be Travel Worthy (thanks the The List, the Vendors, Vanagonauts, and more Listees personal communications than I can name)... but I'm wondering if the initial ownership has made anyone as batty and conflicted--

"Sell and buy a newer one?"

"Medication??"

"Forget the motorized things, those Luddites had it good?!"

--as I feel after 5wks of ownership of an 84 Westy?

Cheers, Mike

Michael Rule UFL / UFSCC Transgenic Core Facility CB-033 352.392.4210 http://transgenics.ufscc.ufl.edu

The trick is to listen to what the experiments tell you - and to not be fooled by the myths of authorities -- Constantine Spyropoulos (1928-1984)