Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:25:53 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: mystery noise LR
Comments: To: Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>

Get yourself a grease gun, and a "Needle Tip" for it. Find a highpressure grease (Molybdenum base) that is appropriate for the Vanagon CV's and fill your grease gun. Push the needle tip under the axleshaft end of the rubber boot on the CV and give several shots of grease into the boot.

This procedure may get you by for some miles before you need to pull the CV's for service. When you do, be sure they are cleaned thoroughly and inspected for pitting before re-assembly. Replace those showing any damage whatsoever.

Changing the CV's is a fairly straight forwarward process, once you have all your tools assembled on your work bench/space. Just takes a few hours however. I changed mine out in my driveway.

As for choices of CV's, I prefer to run Lobros on my machine. Just my personal choice.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver