Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jul 2004 21:39:36 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: low fuel pressure and lean engine
Comments: To: drillock@earthlink.net

Mark and others, thanks again for your help.

You guys are really awesome. This vanagon community is why I still keep my Westy and keep trying to maintain it. :-)

I tested the voltage across the + and - leads of the pump using small alligator clips. I tested the pressure at the fuel pressure tap in the engine compartment. I wanted to test the pressure between the pump and the filter, but wasn't able to put together a working "Tee" to tap into the fuel there. Also, the fuel filter is fairly new, so I don't think it is clogged. It's the large aluminum beer-can style filter, not the small square white one. Always a possibility that something is clogged, but I think fairly low probability of the filter. I've also dropped the fuel tank, drained it, and changed the lines about two years ago. So, I know that the tank is not rusted and spewing flakes into the system. Or, it wasn't back then and I don't think it's degraded too much in the last two years.

Right now, I've got a new pump on order from volkscafe. I'm fairly sad about the additional bucks I've gotta spend. While I was at it, I ordered a new fuel filter and a spare alternator belt to carry around just in case. The filter and belt were small expenses compared to the fuel pump. :-(

I've gotta couple of nice camping trips lined up on the weekends of the 10th and the 16th, so I figure I'll be sad with the momentary cost this week and relax next week.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

BTW, I'm fairly surprised that I can drive with 15 PSI fuel pressure. Any chance my gauge is off? I'm still driving the van to work, the store, and the park with an indicated 15 PSI to 20 PSI pressure.

Regards, Craig

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:08:23 -0700, mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: > Craig, did you measure the voltage across the + and - leads of the pump? > If you have at steady plus 12 volts there then either the pump is bad or > there is some blockage. I know it can be a bit messy but if you measure > the pressure between the pump and filter that will tell you if the > filter is blocked. Another thing to try is to get a small container > filled with gasoline. Then unhook the pump feed line from the fuel tank > and run it into the container so it will pump fuel from there. Then > check the pressure at the engine again . This will tell you if the fuel > tank has blockage causing the low pressure. If this is it, watch out as > the container will quickly empty as the regulator normally constantly > releases pressure into the return line and back to the vehicle fuel tank. > > Mark > > > > > Craig Oda wrote: > > >Mark, > >thanks for the information. Also, thanks to Boston Bob for his tip > >about setting the RPM to 2,000 during the tests. > > > >There is little pressure change when I close the fuel pressure > >regulator line. Also, I tried disconnecting the vacuum line that > >controls the fuel pressure regulator. No change. Finally, I swapped > >another fuel pressure regulator into the system and the problem still > >exists. Actually, pressure is now more like 15psi to 20psi, no longer > >25psi. > > > >I went to Kragen to buy a fuel filter. Even though I changed the > >filter about 1 year ago, it's cheap and I thought it would be worth > >the cost. Unfortunately, Kragen sold me one that doesn't look like it > >will fit. Maybe it is for before the fuel pumpt? It's a square > >plastic white one and my current fuel filter is like a fat beer can > >with no label, kind of a shiny aluminum look. The fat beer can filter > >goes inline after the fuel pump. > > > >I'm about to buy a fuel pump from volkscafe. They seem pretty > >friendly and knowledgable. Also, they're pretty close to my > >house/garage. > > > >I've done a basic leakdown test on my fuel system and it looks like > >it's holding pressure for about 10 minutes or so. I can't smell any > >gas leaks or see any gas dripping. > > > >I checked the grounds and voltage on the existing fuel pump. Seems to > >be rock steady at 12VDC while the engine is running. I was hoping > >that maybe the grounds were corroded and that the pump wasn't getting > >enough volts. Seems to be getting the volts, just not delivering > >enough pressure. > > > >So, I'm going to spend the bucks on a new pump and see how it goes. > > > >More cash going toward the van adventure. :-( > > > >Regards, > >Craig > > > > > > > > > >