Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 2004 00:17:35 -0700
From:         "J. Harvey" <jtharvey2@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: low fuel pressure and lean engine

Many vans have two filters. The cheap square palstic box filter before the pump and the more expensive 'beer can' filter after the pump. My '85 has only the pre-pump plastic box filter. My '81 California Westfalia has both. The post pump only filter is a bizarre design. Upgrading to two is easy.

-john

&gt;From: Anonymous Digest &lt;jbrush@AROS.NET&gt; &gt;Reply-To: jbrush@AROS.NET &gt;To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM &gt;Subject: Re: low fuel pressure and lean engine &gt;Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 22:55:47 -0600 &gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;filter about 1 year ago, it's cheap and I thought it would be worth &gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;the cost. Unfortunately, Kragen sold me one that doesn't look like it &gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;will fit. Maybe it is for before the fuel pumpt? It's a square &gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;plastic white one and my current fuel filter is like a fat beer can &gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;with no label, kind of a shiny aluminum look. The fat beer can filter &gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;goes inline after the fuel pump. &gt; &gt; &gt;Although I admit right up front I have no ideas to offer on this problem, I &gt;always read this kind of sentence the same way, every time anyone has a fuel &gt;flow problem. &gt; &gt;I stand in amazement that any engineer at any level, would put the fuel filter &gt;AFTER the pump. If your tank is dirty, and I am not saying that is the case &gt;here, then your pump is doomed to self destruct. Even if the tank is in pretty &gt;good shape, why would anyone want any of the crud that comes out of the tank, to &gt;have a free shot at the pump? This has to stress the pump and shorten the life, &gt;as well as cut down the efficiency. Serious 'after the horse has left the barn' &gt;syndrome here, if you ask me. &gt; &gt;Others with more experience and whose vans are so configured probably have &gt;reason to poo poo this, but there really should be a filter BEFORE the pump, &gt;even if you have one after as well. What are we wanting the filter will &gt;protect? Me, I want to protect the whole system, including the pump, especially &gt;when you see how expensive those babies are. &gt; &gt;Its late, and I'm bored, so I thought I would throw that out there :-) &gt; &gt;John

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/