Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 2004 17:07:47 -0400
From:         MilosKitchen <sagmoore@ZOOMINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trusting Your Machine, point A
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

Over the years the Vanagons and their foibles haven't changed, just the people that own and maintain them. They are a wonderful beast, but one must be just a little sympathetic to their plight, as who knows (besides those that have owned theirs from new) who was in there before you. If every new owner could just have a free "Berlitz-Language" course in Vanagon, it might be a smoother learning curve.

I love browsing the archives. Try "radiator fan" in the "subject" search sometime, and don't restrict the time frame (in years) of your search. You will also start to see who's been around the longest too.

Dave

>Anyway, maintenance and attention are absolutely necessary, I think.

Certainly the truth, as with all vehicles that qualify for AARP benefits <g>

>Bob Stevens

>From: "Jack" <john.cook58@VERIZON.NET> >snip-The only time it it embarrassed me was a failed >> clutch on the road but, it was MY fault! snip-I am interested in seeing >> the same thoughts going >> on by many on this list.

I am figuring that if there was a database created listing all the failures that have occured to everyone over the years, it might be a safe bet to say that 2/3 of them are not really unique "vanagon" issues, so much as just old age, the same as with any older vehicle.

I was going to keep a small list and see what showed up, but I am too lazy. Even over the last week, in relation to the original post about Trusting Your Machine, we see CV Joints, Alternators, Fuel Pumps, Clutch, and tire issues, but surely no one can attribute those problems to anything more than what can, and does happen, with many older cars. If those issue scare folks off of a vanagon, they will still find them on most other vehicles over time. Nothing special there.

Certainly some things are trully "Vanagon" alone, like the dreaded cylinder head leaks, and the 'syndrome.' but for the most part, if we step back we will see that the problems we face are usually no different than anyone else deals with on their old cars.

After considering it for a while, I think that, at least in my case, the conclusion is that its not so much of a concern that the Van will break down, since I have several cars with over 150K on them that could just as well fail me. Its a matter of who will be able to fix it that causes any stress on me when I travel. Its not like any old shop has the know-how, or even access to parts for a vanagon.

A cell phone gets AAA to come and tow you, but where will they take you that can fix your machine? I own a Ford Taurus and have no real concerns about getting parts if needed, they are as common as can be, so when I travel in it, I don't worry much, because if it happens, it happens, and I will not have too much trouble finding a shop to fix me up. Certainly, that can not be said for a Vanagon. That's why we need knowledge and ability to make as many repairs as we can on our own.

Perhaps we can effect some kind of mindset adjustment away from what a picky, touchy, and difficult vehicle a Vanagon can be, (which it really is not) to make it more of a lament about how hard it is to find the expertise to maintain and repair it? Lets face it, short of the Beetle and some other low end cars, most vehicles are not all that easy to work one, and they do have their own idiosyncrosies (sp) that must be dealt with. Just the sheer volume of those cars being repaired tends to cover up those points because so many know how to work around them, and what to expect.

The "problem" with the Vanagon is simply the lack of expertise and experience in the mainstream, which only serves to bolster the case that this, and a few other lists/sources, are invaluable to us. That probably also will explain why when some folks quit the list for whatever reason, some put for the notion that we are all doomed, when in fact, its not one person, but the collective experience, that makes the list so useful. No one person knows all about them, but together, its an impressive library.

Man, I have to get outside and find something else to do today! :-)

John