Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:02:19 -0400
From:         Tony Thompson <tonyt_eye@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Advice needed on Thule Roof Rack Install
Comments: To: Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM>

Hi Doug, I just went out and checked some dimesions for you. I have the same Thule rain gutters as you and the low thule racks not the high riders.

It is important that the rain gutters get mounted high enough that the inside of the rack towers clear the side of the pop top. Mine are mounted so that the bottom edge of the rain gutter is 2" above the moulded horizontal line on the pop top and the inside of the tower clears the pop top by only about 1/4". The racks are quite stiff and I frequently carry a 170lbs laser sailboat on the rack with no problems.

I have the racks set fairly far back so the boat does not stick out the front too far. Measuring back from the seam between the luggage rack and the poptop the fwd most rack is 3ft aft and the back rack is 4 ft aft of the fwd one.

Very important point, be very careful to drill with the canvas pulled clear since the canvas is in the way and you risk drilling into is when the rack is down. I recommend that you use stainless steel bolts and oversize washers or a plate behind the rain gutters and also to use acorn nuts to prevent wearing holes through the canvas.

By the way the only way to lift the top with a Laser on top is to do it while standing on the luggage rack, I always had a piece of 2 by 4 with me to jam the roof up because the thought of being crushed in the middle of the night kept me awake. Tony