Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jul 2004 12:40:43 -0500
From:         Russell Patten <toolvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      My First Vanagon, a short story

Hello everybody,

After riding the bus in my city for just over a year (San Antonio, TX, which has a horrible public transportation system). And car-searching the whole time I found an in-expensive used vehical that I actually liked! Lots of storage, decent fuel economy for what it is, and wonderfuly SLOW. No More speeding Tickets!

It was a Van-Again. Or Van-ahgone. I'm not sure how those Germans wanted us to pernounce it. So just purchased my first vanagon, back in Feburary actually. Got it for $1900 and included all the repair invoices and every oil change receipt since 1995. An 85 Westy with I don't know how many miles because the odometer doesn't work. Pulled that apart a few times, trying to think up a brilliant idea on how to keep that shaft from slididng off the worm gear. It's got at least 100k on a over-bore/rebuild at 140k. Transaxle still shifts good too, hasn't been rebuilt yet. Clutch job at 140k with the engine rebuild.

I have replaced; Spark plugs, Wires, Rotor and Cap, All the vacume hoses, all the fuel lines in the engine compartment, The 90 degree rubber boot going from the AFM to the intake manifold (25 bucks at my local VW supply house!), the fuel filter, air filter, repacked the almost destroyed CV's, gotta replace them soon. I also timed it after the vacume hoses, now it idles great.

Having some problems with the Vanagon, which I have affectionalty named "The Turd" (guess the color). The fuel pump makes a whining noice. Has since I bought it. More recently it has been not wanting to give power when I'm supposed to be in the high torque powerband, 2500-2900 rpms. Seems to happen when I'm climbing a hill, or off-roading, :-) something requesting more energy from the motor than regular driving. If I continue driving eventually it will not stay running at all, acting as if it is fuel starved. When it refuses to move anymore I let it sit for about 30 minutes and then start it up and drive it away. I wonder if I should replace the blasted $175 fuel pump, that seems to be, in my logic, the most likely culprit for the powerloss. I have yet to find a fuel preassure guage to borrow.

And it dosn't like the rain! A most interesting phenomenon occured two weeks ago during our one-week long wet season. I was driving in about 8" of water (very slowly) and it started dying on me. Behaving similar, but not exactly like, the problem discribed above. I was able to keep it moving but I had to drive in the 3000+ rpm range, which was frustrating in the heavy traffic. I assumed that I got some water in the air box. But then it started happening at highway speed, where I doubt I was able to splash any water up in there. Maybe some rain got in the fuel tank, past the deteriorated gasket on my gas-cap. But it runs fine when everything is dried out, and that tells me it isn't water in the tank since that would still be there the next day.

Somebody replaced the radiator at some point, using some cheap aftermarket junk. The bleed-screw refuses to come loose. It just spins the nut that is embedded in the radiator. That made bleeding the radiator very difficult, I was only able to get it loose once and at great expense of time. I don't think I got all of the air out because now it gets a little warmer than the little red LED halfway point when I'm sitting at a motorbank.

Then I decided to go camping. The refrigerator didn't light. So I pulled it out, cleaned it, soaked the jet, re-sealed the compustion chamber with a new gasket, installed a better cooling fan etc. etc. etc. Everything solution I could find on the internet and Vanagon.com. Runs okay on 110, 12v will keep it there and the propane lights and keeps it at about 70 degrees. Blast. Somebody suggested it's just old, replace the tired old boy. Do they still make these Dometic fridges? I was considering enlarging the combustion chamber with a spacer, then put the next size larger jet on it. More heat right?

I love the van. Once I get the odometer fixed permamently I'm going to reset it to zero and watch the years go by. I am constantly amazed by the thoughtfullness and ingenuity of this vehical. I look forward to fixing it like I looked forward to playing with Legos when I was a kid.

In closing, I'd like to thank many of the Vanagon list contributers for their assistance in the repair and maintanence of my vehical. I've spent the past five months reading the archives and have gained that many years worth of experenice from the knowledgeable advise of the many members. I also thank you for the years to come.

Keep'em rolling

-Russell

_________________________________________________________________ Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 2 months FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/