Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jul 2004 19:33:23 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trusting Your Machine

You gotta remember that hanging out on a forum like this can be somewhat akin to working in a hospital. When all you see and hear about every day is sick people, you start to either feel sick all the time yourself or think that the number of sick people in the world is a lot higher than it is. Granted that there are a huge number of people here who just love the beasts and love hanging out here with our buds, but a lot of people also just sign on periodically when they've got a problem that needs to be fixed. Thus, you hear a lot more horror stories than if you were able to poll the entire population of Vanagon owners. Having said that, my '87 Westy has abandoned me 4 times now, the latest with a thrown connecting rod through the top of the engine. However, I never hesitated to jump in it and drive 3-5 hours to a festival to camp out for the weekend. It was my daily driver for the four years and 35,000 miles that I've owned it. If I were doing a longer trip, I would take all the normal precautions one would take when driving a 17-year-old vehicle on a long trip. It's not fear and/or paranoia at that point; it's reasonable precaution.

Just a few random thoughts, Marc Perdue