Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jul 2004 20:25:59 -0600
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trusting Your Machine
Comments: To: Michael Rule <mikerule@UFL.EDU>

>Silly Question,

Not silly at all. Quite real, I can tell you, as I suffer much the same trepidation.

>Reading the constant issues that seem to randomly arise in these >machines makes me VERY hesitant to got much further than St. >Augustine's or Tampa Beach (from Gainesville, 1-2.5hrs), for fear >of some horrific random tranny/ head-gasket blow-out, faulty >fuel-line-induced fire, silent coolant loss, lite-switch blow-out >turning my dash into a brown puddle of goo...

Mine is an air-cooled 1981 just a touch beyond 200K, pretty much all original. I joined the list in 98, I think, and my paranoia has been on the rise every since :-) As was well stated, its like working in a hospital, only seeing the injured and the dead, with very few trips to the newborn facilities, where things are a bit more pleasant and happy. That is what you will get in any group like this. Very few posts about how great everything is going, and how well the Van performed on the last trip.

If it helps, be sure to realize that a lot of the problems you read about here are self inflicted. Not to say anyone is incapable, or did anything stupid, but a lot of folks start messing where they don't belong. That is what the list is good for tho, as when we get in a bind, there is someone who has probably 'been there, done that' so it becomes a positive. In addition, a number of folks are not running the original stock combination, be it trans, motor, or otherwise, so that doesn't really count when considering the reliability of your van.

Before you label every problem that shows up here as random, consider the circumstances, and look at what really caused it. Ask yourself is that is really a Vanagon issue, or an old vehicle issue. Many times, its just something that happens to all cars that reach the age of our vans.

In just over 100K miles, my machine has stranded me twice. Once in the middle of Yellowstone the battery quit. Well, it was old, and its not a vanagon battery, so that doesn't really count, although $127 for a battery in the park service station was a treat :-) Three years ago, the fuel pump gave up, and although it was a tow back to the house, I did get a great lesson on the fuel injection system.

At the moment, I am broke and out of work for quite a while, so I worry more than I should, but in better days, the thing that helped me most was that almost no matter what happened, it was still going to be cheaper to tow and fix, and maybe even get a rental car, than to buy something else that would have its own problems. I will never own a new car, being among the poor and lower class, so I realize that used machines will cost a few bucks, but nowhere near the $20K and up for a new car. Driving used still leaves me money to travel and have fun.

Use the list of help from the vanaganauts (sp), and check the one on the aircooled type2 list as well. Get AAA Plus, and a t-mobile fone is $20/month for the minimum, but it will get you help. The downside to that is that cell phones are mostly for where people live, and I hate visiting those kinds of places, so I am often out of coverage areas. <shrug> You do what you can.

Get the manuals, there is a list of tools on the vanagon site that are recommended, although some things might be over the top :-) Keep It SImple. Try the idea that if it doesn't move, and it should, use silicon spray. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape...... <g>

Anything can happen to any vehicle at any time. Replace your fuel lines, keep an eye on the coolant system, whatever that is (I have no idea <g>) and remember the happy thought that you have a better chance of being disabled from an idiot driver than the van itself breaking down :-)

I could ramble forever because you have struck a real nerve. Not through any fault of anyone here, this list is a place where one could get the idea that a vanagon has no business even existing today, but there are more owners out there than there are folks on this list. They use em, they break, they fix em, and they use em again.

And, truth be told, I think that some folks around here get some kind of special kick out of what they think are their special vans, that are so so difficult to deal with, that only a certain mentality can own one. The idea that it takes all your life to maintain one is what keeps the list folks happy and thinking they are special. No disrespect intended at all, folks here are great, but I own a 1984 Chevette, and that is its own special little machine as well, and there are a lot less of them than vangons. Old vehicles need TLC, just like old people.

Vanagons are great, but they are getting collectively older, so either buy new, or invest in something you really like. Did you see that B movie called Captain Ron? The bone head captain takes the boat out to sea against the wishes of the paranoid owner, declaring "if anything is going to happen, its gonna happen out there" Your van will live forever if you just leave it in the garage <g>

I would like to know, even in pmail, how it goes for you, and how your trips work out. We have the same mindset in some ways. If you make it out to Utah, I'll be here cheering for you!

Crank er up, and get out there and have fun. Truthfully, what is the worst thing that could happen?

Lemme know how it goes.

Best Regards,

John