Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:24:10 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Squeaking Wheels When Brakes Not Applied

Josh,

When I bought my '85 Westie, the brakes were nice and quiet. After a front brake rebuild by a VW dealership in Virgina (cracked rotor on my way home from a road trip with passengers... sticking around and fixing myself was not an option), it squeaked every time I applied light brake pressure.

About a year later, I replaced both calipers with rebuilt units (this was the only part *not* replaced after the rotor crack). I discovered that the wrench-monkeys at the dealer had left the shims out... and I have no idea what pads they used. They certainly *charged* enough for OEM pads, but I wasn't able watch them (since I was in NJ and the van was in VA).

Since I was doing the work myself this time, I did the following:

- Got a new set of pads from Bus Depot, which came with the 'anti-rattle shims'. - Installed the rebuilt calipers. - Slightly chamfered the sharp edges of the pads before installing (use a dust mask, you don't want to breathe this crap in)... this trick is not Vanagon specific, I've heard it recommended as a general trick for quieting down disc brakes. Since it only required a file and about five minutes of my time, I gave it a try. - Lubed the back of the pads with brake lube, installed the shims behind all pads. - Bled the brakes (ended up bleeding all four wheel cylinders and the clutch slave, 'cause the fluid that came out at the front brakes was *black*.. thank you Mitey-Vac for making this an easy one-man operation).

Hasn't squeaked a bit since... but YMMV. As to whether the new calipers, new pads, shims, lube or chamfering did the trick, that's anyone's guess.

Good Luck,

Tim