Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:44:20 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Balky shift question
Comments: To: Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET>

Somewhere in reading about lubricants,etc, etc, I read that the name WD40 was actually derived from Water Displaement test batch #40. It really does work as a water displacing agent, but it's lubricating qualities are rather poor for the long term. The stuff just doesn't stay put. It seems to have some volatility, though not much, but enough to disappear in a short time after application, depending on the environment. Other, lubes that might work better are LPS (comes in a variery of viscosities), Lubriplate lite lithium grease. I personally like Marvels Mystery Oil. The real oil, not the top overhaul stuff. the real oil is a true penetrating oil. But if there is need for the parts to stay coated with a lubricant, then it needs to be a lubricant with some body. Spray-ons just don't hold up.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver