Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:18:49 -0700
From:         David Hally <davegh@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: High Speed Fan
Comments: To: mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net>

Mark, the problem was that hidden relay, I pulled it and no mor fan problem. I ordered a new one on Tuesday and on the way home the coolant level sensor blew out of the expansion tank! I patched it together by wedging the remnant in place with a socket wrench. Picked up a new one the next day with the relay, also a new exp. tank cap and radiator fan switch/sensor plus a new gauge sending unit. After installation of the level sensor and cap, the temp doesn't go up to where it used to, which wasn't high. I'll try the relay when I get back from vacation. I'm thinking about using the gauge sending unit as a pattern for an adapter (turned aluminum or brass)for a real water temp gauge, anyone ever done that? Thanks for all the help Dave

--- mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: > The fan does not need the key to be on for it to > run. The problem may > lie with the hidden relay for high speed. > There is a wire right from the battery to that > relay. A separate large > red wire just for high speed fan. You could reach > under the dash and cut > every wire from the fuse/relay panel and the high > speed fan relay would > still be connected to the battery. > > Mark > > David Hally wrote: > > >OK Mark, I under stand what's supposed to happen, > But > >in each of the 4 cases you listed below, I have at > >least one component disconnected or OFF. INCLUDING > THE > >IGNITION SWITCH. I have added a comments to your > post > >below: (my AC is inoperative right now (bad > >compressor)and I don't turn it on.) > > > > > > > >>On 86+ models with A/C the radiator temp switches > >>only connect to speeds > >>1 and 3 (low and high). Speed 2 (medium) is turned > >>on and off only by > >>the A/C system when it thinks it is needed or not > >>needed by the A/C. > >>Pulling relay #5 disables speed 2.( Never do this > >>and then run the A/C > >>for long) > >> > >>speed 1 - turned on/off by radiator temp switch > low > >>side > >> > >> > >****SWITCH WIRES ARE DISCONNECTED**** > > > > > >>(switch > >>provides current to fan resistor, then fan) > >> > >> > > > > > > > >>speed 1 - turned on/off by A/C control panel > on/off > >>switch > >> > >> > >****AC SWITCH TURNED OFF**** > > > > > >>(switch > >>provides current to fan resistor, then to fan) > >> > >> > > > > > > > >>speed 2 - turned on/off by A/C refrigerant high > >>pressure switch (switch > >>controls relay #5, > >> > >> > >**** RELAY #5 IS PULLED**** > > > > > >>relay provides current to fan > >>resistor, then to fan) > >> > >> > > > > > > > >>speed 3 - turned on/off by radiator temp switch > high > >>side > >> > >> > >**** SWITCH WIRES ARE DISCONNECTED**** > > > > > >>(switch > >>controls hidden dash relay, relay supplies high > >>current direct to fan) > >> > >> > >****ALSO THE FUSE (#1, 30A) IS PULLED**** > > > > > >>The Bentley "main" wiring diagrams are wrong for > A/C > >>models in the > >>radiator cooling areas. You must look at the > Bentley > >>A/C wiring diagrams > >>for your year to see the differences.. > >> > >>Mark > >> > >> > >> > > > > > > > > >