Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:15:10 -0600
From:         "John Connolly, Aircooled.Net" <john@AIRCOOLED.NET>
Subject:      Re: "whiney ass customers that expect the moon for $.25"
Comments: To: Dagbear@aol.com

You are taking what I said out of context. I said whiney customers, I did not say all customers are whiney.

It's unfortunate that people think that with every business they can just bring a part in, no matter how battered, abused, BROKEN, etc, and get a 100% refund like they can at Wal-mart. Wal-mart is NOT the model for which a business should be run. If you like the way Wal-mart handles your purchases and returns, by all means buy your Vanagon parts at Wal-mart.

You are taking what I said completely out of context, and mis-hearing what I have said. At Aircooled.Net we are on the leading edge of excellence WRT the VW Industry. I am not saying we are perfect, but I KNOW we are a couple orders of magnitude better then most (not all, MOST) retailers in our Industry. I find it humorous that many people expect the lowest price, and the highest service; it does not work that way. You can choose one end of the spectrum or the other, or somewhere in the middle, but you won't get both, and if you do find it, that will not be the case for long.

We ARE cordial, helpful and cooperative, but the customer is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT.

The fact that I'm actually saying this is what's getting people's panties all wrung up, but this is a simple fact, you are more then welcome to disagree with me.

If someone tries to return someone else's part to me for a refund, I'm not going to refund their money. All of a sudden I'm a #$)&*#)(&. Oh well.

I have refunded full purchase price or replaced a part that WAS the customer's fault. But we are under no obligation to do so. The customer's attitude is often the deciding factor on how they are treated, and I have no control over their attitude coming in to things. I am not making the Big Wad (that's a lot of $) selling VW parts, I can guarantee you that. I do this as a hobby, even though it's a full time hobby. Customer's attitudes can keep me happily involved in this hobby, working on developing new products that are sorely needed, and finding others that already exist, and they can also give me the attitude that " why am I doing this" to go do something else.

I stand fastly on my statement, and will add to it, I do not WANT the business of whiney customers. But if a customer has a problem and talks to me about it, almost every time they will come away feeling they got a fair shake. We are the only company in the VW Industry that if you bought a cam and lifter set from us, and had a cam or lifter failure, we not only replaced the cam and lifters, but replaced (free, no charge, gratis, comp, etc etc) the oil pump, rings, all bearings, and gasket set. Wanna' know what happened? One customer had a cam go flat, and sent us the parts uninsured via UPS, and UPS lost them. When we never got the parts, and I informed the customer to file a claim with UPS, I got the "Whiney customer" mode; because the customer didn't want to fill out the paperwork for the claim. So, after several days of whiney e-mails telling me things like my parents weren't married, I said "I do not need this" and did away with our flat cam guarantee. So one bad apple spoils the program for the lot. I do NOT need that kind of grief.

WRT the bumpers, ask anyone on the list that has bought them; they are very nice. If you want a guarantee on the powder coating, like I say in the product description, buy them bare and get them coated at a professional INDUSTRIAL powder coaters, and expect to pay about $350-400 PER BUMPER. Our price on the powder coating is a good deal at $50/bumper. But that disclaimer is there to "give me ammunition" for the guys that expect a $400 Industrial Powdercoating job for $50; you pay for the quality, you do not get a $400 job for $50, yet many people seem to not understand this basic concept.

John Connolly Aircooled.Net Inc.

Dagbear@aol.com should run for Public Office showing great skill at his out-of-context quotation of my post, completely missing the point......