Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jul 2004 23:08:11 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Distributor Nightmare
Comments: To: Jim Heissenbuttel <jim@HEISSENBUTTEL.COM>

The magnetically active paint is a pretty good fish story. The actual symptoms you describe sound like a fuel delivery problem. Since the van is over 20 years old and has probably sat for some time during its life, my bet is that the screen in the fuel is clogging from the tank rusting out. When first started, things appear normal, but as the fuel is pulled through that screen, the clog builds up. Shutting off the engine will allow some of the debris to float up allowing for normal operation for a short time later.

Dennis

First of all, I am a novice, so if I use the incorrect terminology, please forgive me. I also apologize for the length, but I am desperate at this point and need to get this issue resolved this week.

My van has been experiencing what my regular mechanic has called "erratic retardation."To the driver it seems like at random times (usually the most critical) the engine does not have the power, it sputters, and acts like it will die. There is some stalling, poor idling, and even backfiring at timies. It seems like when this loss of power occurs, stepping harder on the gas the the wrong thing to do, while letting up (almost completely) will result in a slight return of power, but not back to normal. After some time the engine will go back to normal operation. Stopping, turning off the ignition, and restarting does not seem to help. Usually, I pull over to a safe spot, a gently coax her back to running normally by alternately running up the revs and then letting off.

I have been given a very complex explanation about how there is a magnetically active paint inside a particular part of the distributor that is critical to the advance or retardation of the timing. He has also told me that this paint is no longer made and that all of the remanufactured distributors may or may not have problems with it. His explanation was that the only way to fix this was to buy a NOS (New Old Stock) distributor. I have used this mechanic quite a bit and I trust him. In addition, he works solely on VW and mostly on Vanagons, so I think he is very knowledgeable.

Last week the problems came back with a vengeance. Since my normal mechanic was on vacation, I had a to use a more local (and likely less knowledgeable) mechanic. I had purchased a working used distributor and gotten a hold of another remanufactured in replacement for the faulty one I received earlier. In talking with this mechanic, he recommended still that I install the remanufactured unit, which we did. The problem did not go away, but since this issue is somewhat sporadic, the mechanic saw no signs on his short test drive.

At this point I have paid to have 2 remanufactured distributors installed into my 83.5 WBX Westy. Neither has resulted in fixing the issues that I have had. I also have a used distributor (PN 025 905 205 K) which I could try. However, the Bently calls for PN 025 905 205 D.

Questions for the list:

Is there a significant difference between these two parts (025 905 205 D and 025 905 205 K)? And can I install the "K" version into my 83.5 Dijijet Vanagon? Is my regular mechanic off his rocker with his explanation of the issue? What would

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

jh 83.5 WBX Westy

________________________________________________________ | Jim Heissenbuttel | 6011 29th Avenue NE | home: 206.985.4306 | | jim@heissenbuttel.com | Seattle, WA 98115 | cell: 206.310.2234 |