Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:46:45 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: simple question about valve cover and waterboxer NOT for sale
Comments: To: Bike Florida <bikeflorida@EARTHLINK.NET>

Yes, they are the same valve covers as are on the Bug motors.

I don't think your son bent them, its probably just the effects of heat, pressure and time on a sheetmetal pressing.

Tim

Bike Florida <bikeflorida@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: Could be, I had my 14 year old son do the cleaning, I guess he could have leaned on it a bit hard, are these covers compatible with the older air cooled bug bus ones? They look the same, and my local vw joint has a set of SCAT covers in stock.

_____

From: TJ Hannink [mailto:tjhannink@yahoo.com] Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 11:26 AM To: Bike Florida; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: simple question about valve cover and waterboxer NOT for sale

You shouldn't any type of sealant on VW valve cover gaskets. It sounds like the cover itself is bent or warped. You can either try to straighten it or buy a new set of covers from any VWFLAPS. I have had a set of the bolt-on BugPack aluminum covers on my van for over 3-years/50,000 miles without any leaks.

Good luck,

Tim

Bike Florida wrote:

I decided to put some love into the old van this weekend, I also decided not to put the Subaru engine in, after lots of advice from list members, I think my waterboxer might be better than an old used Subaru engine. Anyway, I had a very minor drip from the left side valve cover, so I bought two new gaskets and replaced both of them, I wire brushed the gasket mating surface on the valve cover to remove any funk, although they were relatively clean. That fixed the leak.. On the left side, not the right side leaks, I took it back off, and put another new gasket in, this time with sealer between the gasket and the valve cover, still dripping, very slow, but a minor drip nonetheless. Any ideas what to try here? Have I opened the proverbial can o worms?

Jerry

TJ Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition 1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33 Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers http://photos.yahoo.com/tjhannink [Vanagon] Album FAVOR website: http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon

_____

Do you Yahoo!? New mail/static/efficiency.html> and Improved Yahoo! Mail - Send 10MB messages!