Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:38:21 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Lightening the load

So, I was reading a review of the Aston Martin DB9. One thing (among many) caught my eye. One of many things they are doing to reduce weight is to use a carbon fiber drive shaft.

That got me thinking. Gee, it would be cool to find some shop that could make various carbon fiber parts for our Vanagons (this would not be cheap, but it would have many side benefits). I was thinking, front doors, sliding door, hatch. Maybe the poptop (though it wouldn't be too much more of a weight savings there since that is fiberglass). And of course, for us Syncro owners, a carbon fiber drive shaft.

I suspect one could shave 300-500 pounds off the weight of Syncro. Of course, if I went on a diet, I could take another 50 pounds off...

Anyway, carbon fiber sliding doors would be a lot easier to move. Hmm. I wonder what it would take to manufacture carbon fiber cabinets for us Westy owners. Now that is a product that I could tackle on my own...

Ah, such idle speculation. Hope everyone else had a good weekend.