Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:14:31 -0700
From:         "J. Harvey" <jtharvey2@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lightening the load

Fiberglass would be lighter than wood.*

Fiberglass would be more cost effective. The time required would be the same as would the resin cost. Fiberglass fabric would be about 1/3 to 1/4 as expensive with respect to carbon.

*You'll get the required strength by combining fiberglass with a core material. For example, imagine a 3/8" thick sheet of balsa wood with 2 layers of fiberglass on each face. This panel would be much stronger than just 4 layers of fiberglass or even 8 layers. The balsa wood adds a little weight but it adds tons of structure. Honeycomb and foam are also possible core materials.

From experience I'd say that this fiberglass cabinent project would only be worth it if you could cut ~100 pounds. Plus, if it's your first attempt in composite lay-up you can't expect sexy results. And don't forget about fasteners which can be difficult when working with composite panels. -john

&gt;From: Tim Demarest &lt;tim.demarest@POBOX.COM&gt; &gt;Reply-To: Tim Demarest &lt;tim.demarest@POBOX.COM&gt; &gt;To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM &gt;Subject: Re: Lightening the load &gt;Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:37:49 -0400 &gt; &gt;So... carbon fiber is light, but too expensive. &gt; &gt; Would fiberglass cabinets be lighter than wood? &gt; Would they be cost effective? &gt; &gt;I was wondering about this when I had the kitchen cabinets out of my &gt;Westie... it was just idle speculation (I reinstalled the wood), but &gt;maybe &gt;someone on the list knows. &gt; &gt;Tim &gt; &gt;At 12:26 PM 7/12/2004 -0700, J. Harvey wrote: &gt;&gt;In the past months I've spent hundreds of hours making one-off &gt;&gt;carbon body &gt;&gt;parts and molds. To replicate a Vanagon door while maintaining the &gt;&gt;original &gt;&gt;functionality would be so expensive you might feel sick. I suspect &gt;&gt;doing &gt;&gt;all for doors would cost at least $20k. The pop-top would be &gt;&gt;cheaper but as &gt;&gt;you mentioned the weight savings would be minimal. ~$4K &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;The westy cabinents could be replicated at home by fabricating flat &gt;&gt;carbon &gt;&gt;panels and then using the original cabinents as templates (no molds &gt;&gt;needed). &gt;&gt; You'll be hard pressed to do it for less than $1000. &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;Carbon driveshafts are pretty common and cost about $1000. &gt;&gt;http://www.acpt.com/article3.html &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;Great ideas but very costly. -john &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;_________________________________________________________________ &gt;&gt;Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - &gt;&gt;it's FREE! &gt;&gt;http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

_________________________________________________________________ Check out the latest news, polls and tools in the MSN 2004 Election Guide! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx